What have I learned so far with Azure?
Posted in Azure, Cloud Computing
So I have been getting my hands on Azure recently and just wanted to blog about what I have learned so far so here goes (condensed version as wanting to get back to learning way more)
App Service Plans
- What the different levels are Basic, Standard and Premium and what the differences are.
- App service plans govern how you pay for it
- Scale out – beef up the VM or the server
- Scale up – run more than one instance etc.
- You can have staging environments and automated backups
- Consumption plan – only pay for what u use
What is Serverless?
- There are still servers of course – you delegate the management of them to third party offerings
- Use third party Paas wherever possible (for example documentDB)
- Run your custom code on Azure Functions
– respond to events
– let the framework work out how many servers you need
– Functions as a Service (FaaS)
Benefits of Azure functions?
- Rapid and simple development module
- Code it within the portal
- Eliminate boilerplate
- Extremely reach feature set
- CI, Kudu, Easy Auth, Certs, Custom Domains, Settings etc. all included
- Cost effective pricing – only pay for what you use
- No servers to maintain
- Automatic scaling
Next up is Azure Functions…
[…] What have I learned so far with Azure? and Azure Functions and Azure Learning Resources (Gregor Suttie) […]