What advice would you give…
I see people on Twitter saying what advice would you give to younger people or what career advice would you give people who are just getting started in their careers.
Ok, so, I have been in the I.T. industry for 25 years, I didn’t do any Computer Science courses, etc, I am a self-taught programmer and here is my advice, yep that’s right my advice, you may disagree and that’s great, be boring if we all agreed all the time.
- Ask for help, don’t be shy to ask for help always.
- Ask for feedback, on all types of things, feedback is important for growth, you may not like it but you’ll learn more from negative feedback than you will from positive feedback.
- Work like someone is watching you, never slack, put a shift in each and every day.
- Do something you enjoy doing, at your job you will be doing it day in and day out for a long time most likely.
- Find a mentor, and talk to them regularly.
- Be passionate about what you do. Learn something outside your comfort zone, as often as you can, staying in your comfort zone teaches you next to nothing.
- Don’t try and learn it all, no one knows it all, and neither will you.
- Pick a subject area and be someone who stands out in this area.
- If you are thinking about doing something and it’s a challenge, go for it, just do it, stop overthinking.
- If you have a job that you don’t like – find another job.
- Be honest and trustworthy and you will go a long way, no BS, leave that for others.
- Thank the people who help you.
- Give back when you can.
- Network with like-minded people, there are lots of people out there just like you.
- Work smart, not hard.
- Share failures and successes, no one wins all the time, you’ll learn more from your failures.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel.