The last few weeks I’ve heard some interesting interview questions for candidates and without going into too much detail asking a developer questions like, where do you see yourself in 5 years? just doesn’t cut it for me, so here is a list of interview questions I would ask a developer looking to join a company I work at.
- Do you have a StackOverflow profile, a Github or Bitbucket repo where I can take a look at some of your contributions or work?
- Are you a member of any User Groups or do you attend conferences etc?
- How do you keep up to date with the latest technologies and keep your skills up to date?
- Do you know more than one programming language and if so which ones and what ones do you like and why?
- If you’re interviewing and get to the next stage you will be asked to write code on a laptop and write unit tests, are you comfortable doing that?
- What are your thoughts around TDD?
- Are you happy to look at some code and review it and give us your thoughts around it?
- Do you have any knowledge of PowerShell?
- Tell me your thoughts around code reviews, are they important, if so why?
- Tell me your thoughts around code coverage, what percentage is reasonable and is it worth while?
- What is your favourite technology and why?
- If a member of your team is lazy and not putting in enough effort what would you do about it?
- Have you ever worked for a difficult boss and if so how did you handle it?
- Are you ok with doing support on legacy applications and fixing production issue on the legacy code base?
- What are some best practices you follow, and why do you follow them?
Ok short and sweet and off the top of my head – I’ll add to them over time.